• 6 cups sliced, trimmed pickling cucumbers (1/4 “ slices)
• 2 large onions, thinly sliced
• 1/3 cup Ball preserving & Pickling Salt
• 1 ¾ cups white vinegar
• 1 ¼ cups granulated sugar
• 1 ¼ Tbsp mustard seed
• 2/3 tsp celery seed
• 2/3 tsp ground turmeric
• Ball Pickle Crisp Granules
1. COMBINE cucumber, onions and salt in a glass or stainless steel bowl. Mix well, cover with cold water and let stand at room temperature for 2 hours. Transfer to a colander placed over a sink, rinse with cool running water and drain thoroughly.
2. PREPARE stockpot/canner and jars as directed in step-by-step instructions.
3. COMBINE vinegar, sugar, mustard seed, celery seed and turmeric in a large stainless steel saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring to dissolve sugar. Stir in vegetables and return to a boil.
4. PACK vegetables into hot jars, leaving ½ inch headspace. Add rounded 1/8 tsp Pickle Crisp Granules. Ladle hot pickling liquid over vegetables, leaving ½ inch headspace. Remove air bubbles and re-measure headspace. If needed add more cucumbers to meet recommended headspace. Wipe rim, center lid on jar. Screw band until finger-tip tight.
5. Process filled jars in boiling water for 10 minutes. Remove stockpot lid. Wait 5 minutes, then remove jars, cool and store.